Monday, January 27, 2014

Chronicles- bob dylan

I think he kinda lost me from the oh mercy chapter onwards. Oh mercy I think described his life during the late 80s/ 90s. Listened to samples of the songs from the album he said he cut during this time in Louisiana. Can't say I love it. He also didn't seem to care much for this album either, saying that it was okay and that things had to be compromised. That's the thing about growing older i guess.. Sometimes you are just too tired to fight .
I love the first 2-3 chapters of the book when he talked about the influences in his life(woody guthrie mainly, hank snow,hank Williams,etc) and his early years in NYC. The last chapter was sorta a re-visit to that earlier time, kinda saying that life has come full circle perhaps? Also liking the part when he talked about suze rotolo, a girl he fell in love with in NYC. The way he described their first meeting was quite, not sure how to put it, he said there were banana leaves in the air. How cute and strange a description! I also love the part when he talked about his wife, that the thing he had always loved about her was that she didn't depend on anyone to make her happy, that she had "built in happiness". I think more and more people are becoming love druggies... Always looking externally for happiness, always depending on others to make them happy. And most of the time, these people end up being the unhappiest people. Human beings disappoint... We really can't expect others to be the centerpiece of our lives. I know that now... But to really find that peace and happiness within ourselves is not easy to do. We are often betrayed by circumstances...
Anyway back to the book.. He also mentioned why he wanted to do badly in his career- to protect his family. He was hounded by paparazzi and people were always anxious to put labels on him- voice/conscience of the generation, messiah, etc. but he didn't want any of that. He said he was only a singer or a songwriter.. That he didn't really have a message. So to retire from the scene, to make people forget him, he decided to wreck his own career. How true is that, who really knows? He was always confusing the press, portraying fake personas to mislead the world,to change their perception of him. I can't think of anyone in this current time,who's like him. Intense, sensitive, creative, anti-mainstream...but somehow this friend of mine pops into my head when I was reading the book..I think they do share some similarities. But in the current music scene, I can't think of any. Quite a character.. I hope the world will have someone like that again.



No comments:

Post a Comment