Sunday, December 7, 2014

The John Lennon letters -hunter davies

Quite a collection I must say! Very nicely put together in a chronological manner. Must have been tough tracking down all the letters that Lennon had sent throughout his life, and also the accompanying stories+interviews. John Lennon struck me as a little of a mad man, especially during his youth and also during his time with Yoko Ono. I guess there's a little streak of madness in creativity. 
I really like the cover of the book as well- a young Lennon with his eyes closed. 
The ending was a bit sad. A seemingly ordinary day. He signing an autograph for a fan from Hawaii, who later shot him dead. 
Also realized from the book that Lennon and Yoko Ono were in Singapore during 1976, and had sent some postcards to friends from there. 
I liked some of his writings from his childhood, where he had written funny, short, nonsensical stuff, including a newspaper he made up. 
He emphasized several times that he just wanted to make others laugh. In some of his later letters to his family, he kept reminding them that "I am still me!" People naturally assume that fame, money change people but sometimes, on the off chance, they do not. 
On a side note I just realized today,I had finished the book a few minutes before the day he was shot (8 dec)  34 years ago. Talk about coincidences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment