Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The happiness project-Gretchen Rubin

Chapter 5 of the book. I just wanted to pen some thoughts down before I forget. The topic is about "fun". The author decided to take fun more seriously. Have I given any thoughts to what I think is fun for me? Or am I mostly going along with the flow? What is the one thing I can spend hours doing, without feeling bored? An activity that has no economic or constructive value but which i still enjoy putting time and effort into? So far, the one thing I can do for a long period of time without getting restless is reading (which is such a given). The second thing is probably writing (another given!). I used to like scrapbooking but got bored of it. I also enjoy playing the ukulele and piano to myself but enjoy it so much less when there is an audience. Cycling, taking walks I guess are also enjoyable. It does seem like the activities I like are quite mellow and solitary. I also like the idea of escape rooms but haven't tried them yet. Who doesn't love treasure hunt of sort? I think there are many things i like and find interesting but few that I am truly passionate/ dedicated about. Anyway, I'm not sure if anything useful would come out of the book. I guess the happiness the author described is likely to be ephemeral but will elaborate more when I finish the book.

On a side note, I got a bit excited too when the author talked about starting a children's literature reading group after finding a kindred spirit. She had debated about whether to bring up the fact that she liked Harry Potter, as it seemed shallow to like children's lit, especially when one was speaking to a literary agent. Lo and behold, she later found out that the literary agent was equally fond of Harry Potter. She later added this quote from CS Lewis's "on three ways for writing for children":
When I was 10, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. 

I had read this excerpt in an article by brainpickings. I guess perhaps we shouldn't be afraid of being judged for what we like. We like what we like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment