Saturday, June 21, 2014

The letter

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/11/15/simon-garfield-to-the-letter/

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/07/10/vita-sackville-west-love-letter-virginia-woolf/

The art of letter writing is quite dead. Many moons ago before the advent of
emails, me and min used to write each other after she returned to Korea. And sometimes on a whim, I would write and post short letters to neow and wik. It's always quite exciting to receive a letter (bills and rubbish flyers not included), especially when you are anticipating a reply to your last one. Emails just don't quite cut it.
But I can't recall the last time I posted a letter or even a card to someone. Maybe I should start writing to min again instead of kakao-ing. But what do I write? It just seems so rather odd to update her bout my life via snail mail when I could instantaneously update her about my current thoughts, feelings and moods on kakao.
Have to give it some thoughts.

One of my favorite letters by Beethoven:
Good morning, on July 7th
Even when I am in bed my thoughts rush to you, my eternally beloved, now and then joyfully, then again sadly, waiting to know whether Fate will hear our prayer--To face life I must live altogether with you or never see you. Yes, I am resolved to be a wanderer abroad until I can fly to your arms and say that I have found my true home with you and enfolded in your arms can let my soul be wafted to the realm on blessed spirits--alas, unfortunately it must be so--You will become composed, the more so as you know that I am faithful to you; no other woman can ever possess my heart--never--never--Oh God, why must one be separated from her who is so dear. Yet my life in V[ienna] at present is a miserable life--Your love has made me both the happiest and the unhappiest of mortals--At my age I now need stability and regularity in my life--can this coexist with our relationship?--Angel, I have just heard that the post goes every day--and therefore I must close, so that you may receive the letter immediately--Be calm; for only by calmly considering our lives can we achieve our purpose to live together--Be calm--love me--Today--yesterday--what tearful longing for you--for you--you--my life--my all--all good wishes to you--Oh, do continue to love me--never misjudge your lover's most faithful heart.

ever yours
ever mine
ever ours

L.

http://home.swipnet.se/zabonk/cultur/ludwig/beeim.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment