Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Purpose driven life

Re-reading this as SSS told me she just started doing it as a 40-day "quest". And we sorta decided to do it together albeit to a bit of a standstill especially with all the traveling going on. Nonetheless, I had wanted to re-do this properly coz I had cheated during the first time by reading a few chapters a day rather than the 1 chapter a day and then writing down my reflections.
I really like chapter 3 about fear. "Well-formed love banishes fear. A fearful life is one not yet fully formed in love." It also says fear is a self-imposed prison. Totally relatable.
I guess fear stems from the ego. The ego gets bruised and so does our self-image. No one wants to feel like a loser, so we try our best to not do things that may possibly damage our perception of the self.
Human beings have so many fears. It's funny to think about it. Fear of the dark, fear of loneliness, fear of bring rejected, fear of failure, fear of losing things/people, fear of not being loved, fear of death, fear of heights.... A million and one fears. Where do we learn these fears? Are they imprinted in our DNA? Are all these fears borne out of the need to protect ourselves? Or are they in fact, crippling us to be what we potentially could be/ gain? I think the latter might be true (although the evolutionary folks might think otherwise). Some of these fears are irrational. Sometimes calculated risks have to be taken for us to end up where we want to be. I guess I Have a lot of fears to work on and to get rid of the "resigned to fate" attitude. I have this really annoying habit of thinking that if something doesn't happen for me at the get-go,then it's not meant to be mine, and then I just give up. And most of the time, I didn't even try hard enough in the first place to get to where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment