Monday, June 2, 2014

The adventures of 2 girls- Ning cai and Pamela Ho

A travelogue by two Singaporean girls. Quite an enjoyable read. I guess everyone should have a bucket list penned down in b&w coz it is easy to forget things you wish to do, when daily life just consumes you. And before you know it, life is almost gone and you have just woken up. But too late, the train has left the station.

I wonder what it is like to just dump everything and travel. And if it would be something I would do someday. Right now, I don't have much of an urge to travel. Been traveling too much and too long these days, that when I'm back all I wanna do is veg.

Alright I digress. Back to the book. One place that I think I would never ever venture would be the Cango Caves in South Africa. A place clearly not for the claustrophobe. I feel suffocated just Reading about the tiny 30 cm tunnel (one way!) one has to go through to reach another part of the cave. And then having to squeeze through a 20cm Devil's postbox to exit the cave... Wonder why anyone would want to put themselves through that. The guide of the caves then told a story of how a bigger sized tourist had gotten stuck in the tunnel and everyone else behind her were also stuck along for 10 hours. Excruciating!

Strangely, the place I think I loved most in the book was the Sahara. It had never crossed my mind to visit a desert (2 years of Arizona was quite enough) but the way they described the nights in the silent desert, made it seem so magical. The blanket of stars, the silence, the vast emptiness, the moonlit shadows on the sands....quite sold....!

I don't think a person can ever visit all corners of the earth. So a travel book is the next best thing we can have to "see" more of the world. it always strikes me as odd that we can all travel to the same place, see the same sights, but have vastly different experience. There are so many different elements conspiring together to make you like/dislike a place- the weather, the people, the transport, our own biases and expectations, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment