Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Look who's back- timur vermes

I've been eager to read this book since it was first published. I thought the idea of Adolf Hitler being transported to our modern day was quite interesting. I was however sorely disappointed with the book and got bored with it after a while. The book opened with Hitler waking up in the middle of a field not realizing where he was. He then came across a newspaper vendor who took him in and eventually introduced him to a talent scout. Hitler became an overnight celebrity. It was funny though that the book painted him to be a sensitive and kind man, which couldn't be further from the truth. Hitler in the modern world propagated his ideas of preserving the pureness of the German Volk through a talk show. The book fell quite flat in terms of humor. It was supposed to be funny but the jokes somehow didn't get through. Also, I think one would probably need to read about the history of hitler to appreciate all the references he made to his party members, events, etc.
I couldn't appreciate the cleverness of the book but it did make me want to read Hitler's book.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment