Monday, March 16, 2015

Justice vs grace

http://asiancorrespondent.com/131373/rude-taxi-passenger-cybermob/

I almost teared at the end of the video as I couldn't imagine having to suffer such indignity, when one is just trying to make a living. Having to eat the humble pie and apologize to an unreasonable, irate young punk at his age, I truly applaud the taxi driver for having such tolerance. 

My first reaction was to re-post the video because like everyone else, I wanted to see justice served. I wanted this man to learn his lesson. And then I saw that justice was already served. All his personal details were laid out in the open for all to see, including his photos. I realized there's no point in adding fuel to the already roaring fire. The guy should have learnt his lesson already. 
Is justice so much easier to serve than grace? I didn't have to think twice when it came to serving justice; withholding justice and allowing grace in was so much harder. I agree with the writer of the article that by not going with the mob, we risk getting shot down too. I wish I could say something/ make a statement/ speak out against the crowd to withdraw their talons because there is such a thing as too much justice, because there is such a thing as grace and mercy. Yet I am doubtful that I can remain this objective/ level-headed when injustice is done to a loved one or someone I know. But one thing I am sure of is that one day all of us will be in need of grace, whether it is from just one person we have wronged or a mob, or maybe even ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment