Tuesday, April 22, 2014

We are water- Wally lamb

Got really excited when I saw his book in the library even though I was quite disappointed with his last novel - the hour I first believed. We are water is slightly better than Hour. I think there's this theme running throughout all his novels- broken people, dysfunctional families, etc. his best works are still she's come undone and I know this much is true, which I read more than 10 years ago. We are water talks about the Oh family- Orion, Annie, Andrew, Arienne, and marissa. Andrew and Arienne were twins, Orion a psychologist, Annie an artist, and marissa a struggling actress. I would think Annie was the lead in this novel. Her fractured past (childhood abuse by a cousin) moulded her into a temperamental artist who would take out her anger at the slightest provocation from Andrew,her only son. Guess abusive relationships sow the seeds for later relationships sometimes. Anyway after more than 20 years of marriage, Annie decided that she was gay and married another woman.

Every character in this family was vastly different yet they stayed bound tightly together in love. Guess that's the beauty of family- accepting of each other's flaw coz hey, you don't really have any other choice do you? Can't say I love this book but I still like lamb as a writer and guess will always keep my eyes peeled for his new work.

No comments:

Post a Comment