Sunday, March 31, 2013

The little book-Selden Edwards

The idea of this book was very interesting. A man from modern-day San Francisco suffered a blackout and mysteriously ended up in 19th century Vienna. There he met his father who suffered the same condition. And to add complexities, they met their grandfather/father, a stern and no-nonsense man. The story revolved around this teacher they deeply respected and his little book of anecdotes, quotes, teachings.
Unfortunately I did not finish the book. It gets a little boring after some time. But I do love the idea of time travelling and meeting people from the past. Wheeler met Freud, mark twain,etc. Perhaps I should really persevere in finishing this book. I saw a review saying it took the author 30 years to write this book. 30 years!!!?! Seriously....

1 comment:

  1. I loved this incredible work enough, in fact, to read it twice. It is a very finely crafted work and if it took 30 years, it was worth every minute of time spent. It is complex in some ways but worth thinking about the characters, their motivations, their loves, their contributions to society. I should add I listened to it as an audiobook which was an amazing experience!

    What a beautifully written book! I applaud the author and admire his dedication to his craft!

    I wish I could go back in time and meet my father!

    ReplyDelete