Saturday, November 17, 2018

Been on a reading spree these days. I think I’ve read 4 books in the last 3-4 weeks. Anthony bourdain’s medium raw, Robert Louis stevenson’s Travels with a donkey in the cevennes, karl pilkington’s an idiot abroad, and lastly bear grylls’ the kid who climbed Everest. I guess the common thread among them is traveling but each with different purpose: bourdain’s for food, stevenson’s For travel’s sake, pilkington’s sort of a “dare”, and grylls’ for a dream. Of these, I found stevenson’s Perspective on traveling and the way he travelled extremely romantic. There wasn’t a Real purpose  to it but to simply move. He travelled from town to town, dropping in on inns, monasteries, and sometimes the open for a night’s rest. I thought that borders a little on insanity, sleeping in the open without any form of shelter. Will perhaps review a bit more next time.

Moving on next to James Joyce’s Ulysses. Finally found it in the library and it does look like an impossible feat to complete the reading within the loan period.

On another note, I think I must be totally spent after a year of studying. These days I could barely do the things I used to do- playing the piano/ukulele, painting, calligraphy, etc. I’m just vegging most of the time and reading. I wonder when i will start doing things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment