Monday, October 26, 2015

Proust and the squid - Maryanne wolf

I was attracted to the title of the book when I bought it. Proust is on my reading list and I was curious what a famous french author and squid had to do with one another. Alas, I'm not sure if I wanna finish this book although the subject matter is interesting. It talks about the invention of language and how the brain was re-wired to acquire reading skills. It's not a book that one can speed read through and I wonder if it's worth spending time on. 

Socrates decried the use of written language and deemed oral culture to be superior to than of a written one. It is also posited in the book that the Greek efficient alphabet system allows its learners to gain linguistic capability at an earlier age and also allows them to create novel thoughts. The reasoning behind this is that a simplified alphabet system taxes the brain less (wolf suggested that oral languages such as that of the Sumeritans/Egyptians require memory and other meta-cognitive strategies for literacy), this explains the outburst of philosophical, theatrical and scientific undertakings during the Classical Greek period. 

21 oct - 25 oct

No comments:

Post a Comment