Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Platters-My Prayer

great song by the Platters. It was played in the scene when Benjamin Button went sailing on his late father's boat. I'm not sure if many knew that the movie was based on the short story by Scott Fitzgerald..I had only realised it when looking for The Great Gatsby some time ago in the library and chanced upon "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Fitzgerald was inspired by another literary hero Mark Twain, who remarked that "Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18." Some other sources quoted the phrase differently: "It is a pity that the best part of life comes at the beginning, and the worst part at the end." I am not sure if he is being funny, sarcastic, or he truly meant what he said. Is the end always the worst part? Perhaps it isn't... if you have lived your life the way you wanted it to be lived, and there is nothing else you wish to change, nothing else you wish to hang on to... perhaps the end could be the best part of your life, when you leave with good memories. The beginning of life, seriously, what do we remember?! But of course, I do not doubt the beauty and power of youth. With youth, you can afford the energy and time to make mistakes, to venture into new territories without fears that you might be wasting precious time. But it is also a pity that sometimes we do not cherish our youth while we have it. I realise now that I had not taken the advantage of youth to live a little fearlessly. Oftentimes, I did not have the courage to step out of the comfort zone, or the courage to hurt someone else even though by not doing that, the person that ends up losing the most, is myself. Even now, it is the same...I guess "we are who we are, people don't change"....

No comments:

Post a Comment