Tuesday, June 12, 2012

George Orwell-Animal Farm

I had came across and half-read this book when I was about 9. I think at that age, I had thought the book was what it was, a story about strange, talking animals. Re-read this book 2 weeks ago and honestly, I don't think I fared any better in understanding the historical basis the book was written on. However, I dont't think Orwell was trying very hard to disguise his distaste for Stalin and his administration (the author's note blatantly stated so as well).

It is rather ironic that after the revolution against the humans and working hard to upkeep the farm, the animals returned to not only the starting point, but at a seemingly lesser place. The pigs, especially Napolean, reminded me a lot of charismatic politicians, who are able to persuade others to do the dirty work for them without lifting a finger and having these "workers" do so, without a single word of complaint. That is the power of persuasion and it something that very few people could master.

The saddest character of the story was that of Boxer, the work horse. His mantra was "I must work harder". He had never questioned what and why he was working hard for and never once complaint that most of the workload fell on his shoulders. When he could no longer work, he looked forward to the promise of a retirement home but never got it. Instead, he was sent to the slaughter house by the pigs. Heart-breaking....

No comments:

Post a Comment