Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Day- David Nicholls




I was actually quite excited by this book after reading the sypnosis on its book cover. And all the more so, when I heard it was made into a movie. So I traipsed to MPH to try to get a copy of it but was told that it was sold out and that it had been sold out since January this year. That was a little strange as I had seen plentiful copies of it in Popular. Anyhow, managed to get one at 20% off at Popular and I was trying hard to resist the temptation of opening the book, as I still had plenty of assignments to do and exams to study for. Alas, the temptation proved too great to resist and I started reading it; a mistake really coz as always, I read instead of work.
I had thought the book was about a couple who got together for a day and never saw each other again, until one day, they met and fell in love all over again. I thought that would make a rather bittersweet love story. But I was wrong. This book opened with Emma and Dexter getting together for a one night stand on their graduation day. After that one night, they remained as good friends and Emma saw Dexter going through strings of girlfriends and becoming a successful TV presenter, while she remained stuck and unhappy in her life. Life did not pan out as she had envisioned and dreams became safely lodged at the back of her mind.
This story is rather frustrating. It was obvious that Emma loved Dexter, and vice versa. But both chose to anchor safely to their friendship, never wanting to rock the boat. Then Dexter became an alcoholic and Emma decided to quit their friendship. Years later, they met again and Dexter was soon, going to be a husband and a father. Things did not work out eventually for his marriage, with his wife, Slyvie cheating on him, with his best friend and employer. Heartbroken, he turned to Emma. In Paris, they finally, finally, got together after almost 20 years.
Married life was well, married life. The excitement died off, the passion died off. But I supposed they were happy. Until almost 2 years of marriage, while cycling to meet Dex after an argument about having kids, Emma met with an accident and died. Honestly, I was shocked by this revelation. It should have ended with a happily-ever-after. I mean, c'mon they got together only after 20 years, and just after 2 years, you are killing them off? What kinda author is that?! A rather cruel one, I suppose.
I think I would have liked the book better if it had a happy ending. Anyway, the book rewound back to the past in the final two chapters. Back to that one day. You realise then that Dex had loved Em right at the beginning. Why it took him so long to realise and do something, we do not know...By realising it so late into their friendship, they had cut short the amount of time they had as a couple. Fortunate or unfortunate, we do not know either.
I really liked the character, Emma. Geeky but sharp, intelligent, witty, and funny. I wished I had that kind of wit around me. But I guess that's genetic and something that's impossible for me to master.

No comments:

Post a Comment