Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Notebook-Nicholas Sparks

His books sometimes made me feel a little embarrassed to be reading them. Anyway it was through the movie that I knew of Nicholas Sparks. Prior to that, I had no idea who he was. I loved the movie probably coz of the chemistry between Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling, I think they are perfect for each other. It makes it all very believeable and I guess, it makes sceptics, hopeful that love does exist. I also love the era that the movie was set in, where people go to fairs, have cotton candy, sit on the ferris wheel.. there's something incredibly simple and romantic about that way of life.
But alas, having watch the movie plentiful times, since 2004, I had never had the urge to pick up the book and read it. That is rather strange for someone like me. Usually if I like a movie well enough, I would get the book. And sometimes, it's vice versa. But generally speaking, I would always prefer the book more than the movie. And I hate having watch the movie first before the book coz it kinda limits my imagination and I would often see the book characters as the actual actors/actresses of the movie.
Oh well, I didnt like the book version of the Notebook. It was all rather amateurish and dead. I couldn't really feel any romance or excitement from the book. It wasn't very engaging for the readers. It was quite disappointing, really. I had thought with the book on the bestseller list, and garnering him so much attention upon its publication, it should be SOMETHING. But it wasn't. I was left scratching my head, wondering why it sold like hotcakes.
But on a positive note, his subsequent books were better, although still kinda, I dont know, one-dimensional. However, like what I had mentioned before, his books are sometimes like comfort food. Bad for you, perhaps, but comforting...

No comments:

Post a Comment