Thursday, October 6, 2016

Elie Wiesel - night trilogy

Earnestly looking for this book and finally got it from the library. To be honest, I was a tad disappointed since the book had received rave reviews. Although it was a trilogy, I read only the "night" as it was a true account of what Wiesel went through during WWII. The other two parts of the book were novels written by Wiesel and I guess I didn't have much interest in that at the moment. 
After reading several accounts of WWII, I felt Wiesel's story lacked "substance" and it just gave the feeling that it was run of the mill book. Of course I am not discounting the horrors he went through, watching his father die and being separated from his family. The one thing I liked about this book was its raw honesty when Wiesel recounted how he had felt a sense of relief when his father died as this meant that he no longer had to take care of him or share his resources with his father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment