Monday, November 2, 2015

Anna Quindlen

"In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own. I learned who I was and who I wanted to be, what I might aspire to, and what I might dare to dream about my world and myself. More powerfully and persuasively than from the "shalt nots" of the Ten Commandments, I learned the difference between good and evil, right and wrong. A Wrinkle in Time described that evil, that wrong, existing in a different dimension from our own. But I felt that I, too, existed much of the time in a different dimension from everyone else I knew. There was waking, and there was sleeping. And then there were books, a kind of parallel universe in which anything might happen and frequently did, a universe in which I might be a newcomer but was never really a stranger. My real, true world. My perfect island."

I feel the same way sometimes- that reading brings you into a parallel universe and let you live through a many different lives, experiences, emotions, etc. A Book sometimes intrigues you, creeps you out, makes you cry, makes you smile, inspires you, piques your curiosity...it's no wonder that we sometimes seek solace in books.  I love that sense of serenity on a quiet afternoon, sitting with a book, and a cup of hot tea, and it is double the bliss when it is gloomy, rainy day. I don't know why but I always feel that rainy days complement books perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment