Sunday, June 14, 2015

The unbearable lightness of being-Milan Kundera

I was really taken with the writing style of Kundera. The clever and original way he constructed his sentences. The story was quite captivating at the beginning but I didn't get like the last few chapters. It just felt a bit hasty and disjointed. It was nonetheless a good read despite the feeling that the story didn't go anywhere. The main characters were Tomas and Tereza and was set in Prague. Tomas was a surgeon who fell strangely and quickly in love with Tereza. Tomas was however a philanderer and Tereza, remained with him despite knowing his transgressions. And then there were Sabina and Franz. Franz was married to a prideful Marie-Claude and Sabina was his artist lover, and who was also the lover of Tomas. Franz has strange admirations for people from countries with a history of revolution. He thought persecution, prison, banned books, etc were exciting and perhaps, romantic. But Sabina, having lived through all these, had distaste for them. 

I agree with the sentiments of Franz. Sometimes I too admire and wonder what kind of person I would be, if I had been borne in a country with say, a history of wars, Revolution, or communism. Would I still be the same person that i am? Or would I be me no more ? 

To sum it up, definitely a book worth reading for its unconventionality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment