Sunday, April 24, 2011

Julie and Julia

Finally managed to find some time to do some catch-up reading, in between school assignments and 9-hours of sitting in the office. I have not much to say about this book, just that it is quite an interesting read about a slightly crazed woman, who risks her husband, her cats, her job to cook the 524 recipes in Julia Child's famous book: "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". You have to admire her determination and guts to do that, especially when you have read MtAoFC. Incidentally, I have a copy of MtAoFC and I can tell you that it is no mean feat to cook the dishes in there. I have only done 2 recipes from that book, and both were relatively easy, and thats the reason why I have only done them, and not the rest of the 522 recipes. Everything else is just too darn difficult and time-consuming! And you probably will not be able to find most of the ingredients in Singapore...and I guess the ingredients needed may be a tad expensive as well. So yes, it took a lot for her to manage all 524 recipes in a year, no less (especially when the recipes call for killing lobsters, making aspic with cattles' calves, yikes!).

A bit like Julie, myself, I am the sort that never does finish up projects. I often start something with gusto, but nearing the end of the project, I would start to feel bored and find the need to do something else. Yes, i can name many things I have started learning on a wimp and quit halfway through: French, Japanese, Spanish, piano, knitting, scrapbooking, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment